Monday, July 19, 2010

"TOE-gut-tee" to Warm Springs Creek Area


The "fun" 4 mile climb had been tackled the night before, yet I still had to climb up to Togwotee Pass (9658ft) and a steady 9'ish mile climb. Part of this climb was facilitated by pilot cars since highway 26/278 was under construction, and obviously I was not able to keep up with the one lane of traffic. Although this was helpful, I still need to detach the BOB and load my gear into the truck on two separate occasions. A scenic loop around Brooks Lake provided a respite from the highway, which was followed by decent descent towards the ominous Union Pass (9210ft). A quick stop at a gas station provided ginger ale and fig newtons, along with a nice conversation with a fellow bicyclist. From the descent, I had lost all of the elevation that I had happily tucked under my belt, so I decided to take the alternate (3.5 miles longer) to the pass. This would make the ascent easier although the ensuing three hills took their toll, actually only the last did. The Warm Springs campground seemed inviting although I saw that a nearby guest ranch also offered the opportunity to camp. Crooked Creek Ranch also offered food! and a Frisbee Golf course! but no camping, only because they had a very boisterous black bear that was in the area. I was offered a cheap rate on a motel room and one of the best burgers that I have had on the trip so far. I went to bed, and like a child on Christmas Eve I eagerly awaited the next morning. Hopefully the door to the bear trap would be closed!

Miles: 45

No comments:

Post a Comment