Saturday, July 3, 2010

Boulder to Helena


Still continuing to follow the mapped "Boulder Alternate", I left Boulder and passed over the Boulder River onto the non maintained cattle access path, this paralleled route 15, and after a short 5 miles crossed over to the western side of the highway. Here I followed the trail high above the highway and maintained a steady elevation of around 6100ft. Not an easy trail, as recent rain and hail had caused rivers to burst their banks and sink holes to form in the trail. It started to cool down to 60 degrees as I entered Butte, but before I descended into Butte (or "Butte America" thanks to those in Boulder) I passed my second Continental Divide Crossing. A days rest is needed to work out a problem with my knee and plenty of icy hot will be applied to get it working again. The journey will continue tomorrow!! with 37 miles to Beaver Creek Campground, and an important decision with Fleecer Ridge looming in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment