Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tomichi Creek to Luders Creek Campground


A shorted day of 48.5 miles started with the faithful oatmeal, a mix of blueberry, peach and instant coffee. Not gourmet by any means but it certainly does the job. A short jaunt on the highway lead to the distinctive high and dry mountain basins to which I have become accustomed to. Thankfully the wind had subside as I peddled the rocky terrain in search of highway 114. During a break I was able to catch up with more divide riders who shared their unnerving stories of their present adventure. With little chances to restock water, I passed a pump at a local reservoir and headed between showers to Cochetopa Pass another seemingly endless climb. Steep switchbacks at the end of the day lead to Luder's Creek Campground and a calf who didn't take kindly to my presence as he charged the bike on my way by. Some friendly campers filled my water bottles, and I sat down to my ramen noodles, Uncle Ben's rice and canned chicken concoction. The scenery was that of gentle rolling hills with unsettling rain clouds all around, as I lay in the tent trying to discern whether the neighboring cows had sore throats or were actually coyotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment